Trainee/Design/Senior Design Engineer
Our client based in the Havant area requires a Design Engineer which could be at any level from recently graduated to Senior.
Salary would be dependent on experience.
The role of the Design Engineer is to provide technical support to the sales and project teams for all aspects of the project related to design. The objective is to develop cost effective, regulation compliant solutions within acceptable time frames. The role requires a good understanding of products, both internally manufactured and supplied to specifications, their performance and application limits. A thorough, and up to date understanding of all relevant building regulations and British standards is key. The ability to read and understand mechanical / electrical, architectural and construction drawings and specifications is essential.
Pre Order System Design
- Produce designs for smoke control and performance louvre systems for all building types including retail, residential, industrial, commercial and car parks.
- Designs to be produced from information supplied directly from customers or sales staff.
- Specialist design of duct work systems, including fan selection and pressure drop calculations.
- Design of pressurisation systems.
- Noise calculations.
- Where reasonable, meet deadlines set by the client or sales team. Where this isn`t possible communicate this ASAP to the relevant parties indicating the date that will be achieved.
- Consider alternate solutions based on information provided by the client to ensure the most cost effective & efficient solution is proposed.
- Provide technical advice to sales staff and customers via phone and email.
Legislation, Standards & Product Knowledge
- To be fully conversant with all current applicable legislation, standards, and design documents / approaches.
- Understanding of recent relevant research which may allow for more efficient / effective solutions.
- A thorough understanding of standard Colt products whether they are manufactured in house or bought in.
- Assist junior salesforce with CPD presentations / seminars.
- Assist with Fire Brigade / Building Control seminars.
- Production of technical reports for customers / local authorities.
- Ensure correct selection of products / equipment to meet the project design specification.
- Check pre-order design in accordance with latest construction issue drawings design specification, employers requirements and original scope of works to confirm design.
- Check all information provided at handover stage and highlight any gaps.
- Attend design meetings, as required.
- Provide Technical support to project managers / installers / commissioning engineers for the design elements of the project.
- Check all drawings produced by the CAD team for allocated projects.
- Attend design meetings to explain / address / agree technical issues and to achieve formal scheme approval.
- Produce control logic (cause and effect) table.
- Produce Technical Submission and Operation and Maintenance manual.
- Support commissioning engineers with demonstrations, smoke tests to clients / local authorities.
- Endeavour to meet deadlines set by the client/programme. Where this isn`t possible communicate this ASAP to the relevant parties indicating the date that will be achieved.
Specialist Skills Set
- Develop at least one area of specialism which you can train and support the other members of the Design team on, for example;
- Control system design (hardware / software)
- OPV Programming
- Product certification
- Climate Control
- Once established, you should be able to demonstrate how you have disseminated this knowledge with the team.
- Carry out any other reasonable task/project, as requested by Technical Director
- Fully conversant in reading architectural, mechanical and construction drawings.
- Smoke Ventilation, Fire Alarm or HVAC experience.
- Experience of working in HVAC industry or Fire Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Interpretation of electrical schematics / standards and their implications.
- Ability to communicate technical details of a design solution at all levels across a range of media.
- Computer literature in MS Office.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Track record of external technical presentations to a range of audiences.
- Use of AutoCAD.
- Experience in 3D modelling, Revit, BIM etc
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Building Services or Engineering Design.
- Good level of education in English, Maths and Physics.
- Degree in Fire Engineering, or higher degree in those stated e.g. MEng.
- Working towards CEng.
- Self motivated.
- Good communicator.
- Able to demonstrate initiative and work without supervision.
- Be able to work to strict deadlines.
- Professional and proactive approach to the job role.
- 25 days plus the 8 statutory holidays in England and Wales.
- A Group Personal Pension which has been awarded the Pension Quality Mark PLUS by the National Association of Pension Funds.
- Staff car parking facilities.
- Group are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
- A no smoking policy is in operation.
- Childcare Voucher Scheme is available.
- Approved Cycle to Work scheme.